Now those of you who regularly use twitter to follow information on Intranets would have no doubt seen tweets from conference attendees in the past. I have never really been a huge fan of this practice. The tweeted comments on presentations usually lack context and seldom provide any value for people on the outside looking in. But that was before I started following the #IE10 comments posted from Intrateam 2010.
Following event proceedings last night from my home in Sydney was just fantastic. The tweets from #IE10 were gems of information. Thought provoking questions, insightful observations and valuable advise were coming thick and fast in less than 140 characters. I am now convinced that provided the person tweeting from the event has the ability to communicate key points and not just a stream of topics, following conference presentations on Twitter can be an entertaining and informative experience.
Here are some of the tweets from 4 of the English sessions on day one.
Future Intranet for New Ways of Working - Jane McConnell, Intranet and Portal Specialist
(Jane presented some of the key results from her Global Intranet Trends 2010 report)
- HR is a chameleon. Could be your best friend and worst enemy. @NetJMC #IE10
- 30% of ordinary employees have content publishing in their job description @NetJMC #IE10
- 60% are satisfied or very satisfied with search @NetJMC #IE10
- 10% is planning on optimizing mobile access @NetJMC #IE10
- 40% is planning access from home @NetJMC #IE10
- 20% have optimized commenting on intranet @NetJMC #IE10
- 45% have internal blogs and wikis today @NetJMC #IE10
- 5% use social media across the organization. More are testing and planning @NetJMC #IE10
Correction - @NetJMC Advises that her presentation stated "60 % are using social media today with another 25% planning to do so.
06 March 2010 - Thanks Jane
Janes Correct data on Social Media within organisations here.
Building the Best Practice Intranet - Andrew Wright, Managing Director, CIBA Solutions and Stephan Schillerwein, infocentric research
- Andrew Wright and Stephan Schillerwein is arranging a competition about the most important for enduser @IntranetMatters @Roojwright #IE10
- Personlization was rated lowest by endusers. @IntranetMatters @Roojwright #IE10
- Winner was News - surprise @IntranetMatters @Roojwright #IE10
- Finding instuctions for completing work tasks was better than news. Judged by endusers - Sorry @IntranetMatters @Roojwright #IE10
- The best intranet in World Intranet Challenge is run by an IT-guy walking around talking to employees @IntranetMatters @Roojwright #IE10
How Newsdesk helped Shell save $5 million - by Rossen Roussev, former Shell Enterprise Portal manager
- Shell saved $15m on a budget that was 10% of that amount.#IE10
- Shell portal rolled out to 142k people in 142 countries #IE10
- Few users will personalise - most want content profiled for them #IE10
- Use words and phrases that help management achieve their business objectives. Rossen Roussev Shell #IE10
- More important than the (impressive) number of $ saved by shell's intranet was that it was done in a way that management bought into #IE10
- shell's savings came from overlapping media contracts being stopped #IE10
- Comms people were creating a lot of newsletters round the world. Replaced by centrally Newsdesk. Rossen Roussev Shell #IE10
- Contracts rationalization 73 contracts identified USD 17 million a year replaced by internal newsfeed Rossen Roussev Shell #IE10
- Think about your organisation. Value and perception. Walk and talk. Rossen Roussev Shell #IE10
- Don't explain to management how great the intranet is. They don't care. It's all about value and perception. Rossen Roussev, Shell#IE10
- "Get out there, talk to people, do your homework!" Rossen Roussev, Shell #IE10
(PR - Loved this snipit - sometimes feel like shouting it at people)
Is your Intranet Ready for 2012? - Martin White, Intranet Focus Ltd
- Try to type "confidential" in your search box on the intranet. Scared? Martin White @IntranetFocus #IE10
(PR-Tried this morning. Not as bad as I first feared it may be)
- Abandon hope for those enter here. Is that then welcome message on your intranet? Martin White @IntranetFocus #IE10
- Information is not seen as a business asset. Why not? Martin White @IntranetFocus #IE10
- You can't be an intranet manger for the rest of your life, you'll go insane! Martin White @IntranetFocus #IE10
- Security gets blamed for everything. Martin White @IntranetFocus #IE10
- The intranet is NOT an IT system The intranet is the only IT-system not having a specific purpose. Challenge? Martin White @IntranetFocus #IE10
- Be more specific when asking about what employees do? Martin White @IntranetFocus #IE10
- The value of your information is the sum of all salaries in the company and you are failing to manage it! Martin White @IntranetFocus #IE10
- Collaboration technology gets rolled out without specifying collaboration requirements and goals. Martin White @IntranetFocus #IE10
- Not many had made the requirements BEFORE installing collaboration tools. Not done with many other things! Martin White @IntranetFocus #IE10
- Challenger launch decision. Good book about collaboration according to Martin White @IntranetFocus #IE10
- We share information because we trust each other. Break trust and collaboration breaks. Martin White @IntranetFocus #IE10
- What is the career path for intranet managers? (We can't do the one job for the next 20 years) @s2d_jamesr #IE10
- We focus on the media not the social. A social media guide does not make it social. Martin White @IntranetFocus #IE10
- The biggest intranet challenge is where they bump up to ERP. Millions invested in ERP. Martin White @IntranetFocus #IE10
- The future intranet has to be independent on location, language, department and technology. Martin White @IntranetFocus #IE10
I plan on following the #IE10 tweets from day two of this event tonight and am looking forward to another sessions from Jane McConnell, Step Two's James Robertson, Mark Morrell from British Telecom and Collaboration guru Michael Sampson. Does it really get any better than this?
If this event is on again next year I am going to pull out all stops to attend. Just the conversations during breaks would be well worth the price of the airfare from Australia.